Deering Discovery Days
On Sunday, July 16, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., enjoy a day of family fun at the Deering Estate with hands-on science activities, site orientations, canoe tours (for an additional fee) and more! Admission is only $1.00 for ages 4 & older.
Activities & programs on Sunday, July 16th include:
• Courtyard site orientations at 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m. & 3:00 p.m.; please note that the Historic Houses will be closed.
• Visit our Artist in Residence Studios in the Carriage House & Power House from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m
• Canoe tours at 10:30 a.m., 12:00 p.m., 1:30 p.m. & 3:00 p.m. (for a $10 fee; cash only & weather permitting).
• “Birthday Bash” – Charles Deering was born on July 31, 1852. Learn about the different birthday party packages, camps, specialty tours and group tours that are offered at the Deering Estate while participating in themed hands on activities.
• Tropical fruit display provided by Fruit & Spice Park.
• Special appearance by the Zoo Squad from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Meet and greet some wonderful characters from Zoo Miami such as Gigi the giraffe, Kaz the rhino, and Pio the red-billed oxpecker.
• Florida Yards and Neighbors Rain Barrel Workshop at 10:00 a.m. in the Pump House Classroom. Learn how harvesting rainwater can help reduce pollution from stormwater runoff and provide a supply of free, non-chlorinated, pH-neutral water for your garden, prize orchids, potted plants, and much more! The workshop is free to attend and recycled plastic 60-gallon food-grade drums (rain barrels) are available for purchase ($40.00 each). You may purchase rain barrels online through registration with a credit card. Rain barrels can also be purchased at the workshop with a check or money order only. Pre-registration is required. Limited space is available.
•Food & beverages available for an additional fee.
This July, discover the power of play and adventure during Park & Recreation Month! The National Recreation and Park Association is challenging everyone to get their play on with local parks and recreation. #PlayOnJuly