Charles Deering Endowment Fund
Charles Deering amassed the original 330 acres of the property that today makes
up the Deering Estate at Cutler that was left vacant after the Town of Cutler shifted
west from Biscayne Bay to be nearer to the expansion of Henry Flagler’s Railroad
through South Dade. He engaged the most accomplished architects and botanists of
his day to help him build the magnificent Stone House, out buildings and boat turning
basin creating a singular oasis, full of natural and manmade treasures.
After his death in 1927, his heirs owned the Estate for more than half a century.
The property was put up for sale after his daughter, Barbara Deering Danielson,
died in 1982. As opposed to allowing the Estate to slip in to the hands of developers,
the family embraced a deal brokered by the Nature Conservancy in 1985 that allowed
the State of Florida and Miami-Dade County to purchase the property for far less
than its market value.
The Deering Estate Foundation’s Endowment Fund is appropriately named
in Charles Deering’s honor and its objectives consistent with those of the family
in preserving his legacy. Its purpose is to provide financial sustainability to
the Foundation as the Estate’s perpetual partner in preservation, education and
recreation. The principal of contributions made to the endowment fund are intended
to remain in the fund and invested in perpetuity while the funds earnings are made
available to serve the current and future development needs of the Foundation.
Donors are encouraged to review the Deering Estate Foundation’s
Investment Policy Statement.
Endowment Policy and
Gift Acceptance Policy when considering
a gift to the endowment fund. Contact the Foundation’s Executive Director for further
Donations may be sent to:
Deering Estate Foundation, Inc.
Att: Mary Pettit
16701 SW 72 Ave. Palmetto Bay, FL 33157
305-235-1668 x 266